I can't say for sure, but these grilled cheese sandwiches might be the reason Josh married me.
My grandmother, Bobby Toby, used to make these awesome grilled cheese sandwiches in a frying pan, and while I make them with whole wheat bread and a heart healthy butter, she made them with white bread, real salted butter and way more American cheese than I even allow into my house. My way is very good and not bad for you. Her way was excellent, but very very not good for you.
One day, before we were engaged, Bobby Toby whipped up a rather large batch of these and from then on, Josh looked at me a little differently. And this coming from a guy who had such a limited eating palate when we got married that I was scared I would never again see a salad that contained a lettuce that was not iceberg.
We make them in our house at least once a week for dinner, and sometimes for breakfast on a Sunday too. For a family of six, like mine, you will need at least an entire loaf of bread, if not more. You will also need a stack of American cheese - we just buy the huge packs of 108 slices, which I have to say, I did not know existed before I met Josh. I also did not know that yellow American cheese existed before I met him but there are a lot of gross things I did not know about before I got married so what's one more, right?
Here, in just a few easy steps, is how to make the best grilled cheese ever - and you won't need a panini press. Just a frying pan and a spatula.
1. Make a stack of bread slices and count them to make sure there are an even number.
2. Using a heart healthy butter, butter one side of each slice and stack em up. It's okay if some butter gets on the unbuttered sides.
3. Heat your frying pan; no need for any non-stick spray because the bread is already buttered.
4. Once hot, place the bread, buttered side down in the pan.
5. Add cheese.
6. Add another slice of bread on top, buttered side up.
7. When the bottom bread gets brown and crunchy, flip.
8. Wait until the other side has also gotten brown and crunchy and move to a plate to cool.
9. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.
10. Stack up your grilled cheese sandwiches and call everyone for dinner.
I guess if you really wanted to, you might add tomato slices to the sandwich before you add the second piece of bread, but really, why play with perfection?
Are you a Mom?
Of course you are,
your shirt is dirty :)