This morning I made the skirt for the costume - it's a cross between a tutu and a big tulle marshmallow. But the two year old seems to like it and that's all that really matters. Well, what I should really say is that now she likes it. When I first tried to have her try it on to see how much more tulle I needed to add, she was not happy. Her reaction was akin to what happens when she encounters sprinkles - her arch nemesis. Yup, afraid of sprinkles. I guess that's better than being afraid of the dark. At least one rarely encounters sprinkles in a dark alley, you know?
First I measured the ribbon around her waist and added an extra six inches on end. Those extra 12 inches would not be getting tulle, they would become the bow in the back of the tutu when it is tied on.
When I went for my last wedding gown fitting, something happened. I was standing there in the gown and the seamstress got a phone call and was yapping away and so, tired, I sat down. And the dress didn't. And that's when we realized that I had never sat in the dress before, something that apparently is very important. The dress kind of stood out in front of me, so my lower legs and sneakers (yeah) were on display. And that's when we realized that the tulle under the dress was slightly too short, hence the display of knees. Okay, not knees, but calves for sure.
To this day I am not sure how the woman fixed it, or tried to fix it, but it was not perfect. The day was, the dress was not. And so when I sat on the bedekin chair, I couldn't lean back. I had to kind of perch myself on the edge of the seat so the dress wouldn't pop up. Somewhat irritating at the time, but years later a somewhat funny story.
Once you covered the whole ribbon or run out of tulle, which happened to me, hold the whole tutu up and just move some of the pieces over on the ribbon so they have breathing room.